Monday, September 24

Massive floods killed over 100 Nigerians in few weeks


The National Emergency Management Agency has declared the number of casualties arising from severe flooding in about 12 states in Nigeria has risen to 101.

The Director-General of NEMA, Mustapha Maihaja, said the rise in the number of casualties was  intensified despite the effort put in by the agency in conjunction with other agencies of government, as well as parastatals in the affected states.

Maihaja, who disclosed this to our correspondents during an interview in his office in Abuja, also stated that the flooding this year may grow higher than what was experienced in 2012.

He explained that in 2012, the flood level rose to a high of 12.84 metres, precisely on September 29, and stressed that on September 21 this year, the level had already got to 11.21m

He said, “Expectedly, at the rate which it is rising, on September 29 this year, it will be more than 12.84m. As at yesterday (Friday) it was 11.21m, just a few meters less than 12.84m. So if it continues, we could reach 12.84m before September 29.”

When told that in 2012 the casualty figure was high, Maihaja immediately replied, “We have already reached over 100 (casualties) now and it was 363 in 2012. It is 101 now as against the 70 that was reported on Friday.”

He, however stated that the agency was adequately funded to currently handle the situation, adding that NEMA was working hard to manage the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow us on Social Media:
Twitter: @Naijaslog
Facebook: @Naijaslog
Instagram: @Naijaslog

Disclaimer: The views expressed in the comment section are those of our users and do not reflect the views of Naijaslog.